Pages

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Lessons Learned from my Cultural Autobiography

Life Lessons

            The interviews required as a precursor to writing this cultural autobiography were conducted with co-workers and colleagues.  I really did not feel they revealed anything dramatically new for me, but the interview process clearly caused me to reflect on my previous relationships and various stages of life.  This was stirring; it was both pleasant and not so pleasant at times.  Interestingly, as I wrote this, I found myself reflecting far more than writing.  As I thought about what people had said of their own experiences, I found myself remembering times and interactions from my own past.  

            Here are a few of my take aways:

1.     Professional and personal relationships throughout my life have been the impetus for personal growth.
2.    Professional and personal relationships throughout my life have served to inform me of the cultural awareness of myself and others.
3.    I have learned to value the diversity of others and strive to use that diversity as a strength to assist in moving my school forward in accomplishing goals.
4.    Anyone can overcome cultural deficiencies and prejudice.
5.    I can be a powerful force in striving to facilitate social justice and equity and have a positive impact in my place of employment. 
6.    Doing what is right is not always the easiest option…  I strive to make doing the right things easy and the wrong things difficult. 
7.    I hope to be the impetus for positive change and understanding in others.    

No comments:

Post a Comment