Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Creating My PLN

As I think about creating my PLN, I am feeling like a complete digital immigrant.  Face booking, Tweeting, blogging, Diigo, iGoogle, etc are all very new to me.   I have a smart phone, but even though I have had it for a year I still need to ask people to show me how to use new app’s.  The technology has far more potential than I know how to employ.  I often chuckle that the impoverished students at my school can utilize a smart phone better than I can! 
 
I also start to worry about how much time seeks to be spent on social media sites.  My daughter can be on FaceBook for hours…  These are hours that she is not reading or writing on a higher order level.  Sure, she and her friends chat which requires conversation and writing, but the writing is far from academic.  Perhaps if this technology was put into practice on an educational level it would be beneficial in school.  However, we are clearly not there yet.  In fact, almost all of the social media/networking sites are firewalled in my school district. 

I am behind the times on the technology available and how to effectively use the technology I am signed up for.  Diigo seems like it could be a powerful tool, but I still have much to learn regarding its potential and employment.  TweetDeck is also foreign to me…  I can sort of see that the groups available are full of potentially very useful information.  However, it flits by so quickly!  I need to figure out how to get into each group to review topics.  Then I can read, search for, and synthesize the information.  It would seem that this could be an amazing source for sources! 
J 

Thus, I am plodding along, playing with the tools I do know about and attempting to learn on the fly.  I just wish I could digest the digital possibilities at a much more rapid rate!  Eventually I will be comfortable with the technology available, and I even aspire to become comfortable with emerging technology.  Hopefully this course will be of great assistance in that endeavor and help me to create a digital presence for myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment