Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

Am I a Visitor or Resident on the Internet?

Am I a visitor or resident on the internet?  Hmm…  Good question for me because it requires some thought and reflection.  I suppose that I am currently both a visitor and a resident of the internet.

In some ways I am a simply a visitor: I do some of my banking online, I shop online, and I read information online such as the news and articles.  Most of these activities are brief excursions into the World Wide Web (WWW) with little or no trace visible to others.  I have not previously had any desire to have my personal identity online as any sort of Brand.  In fact, I would go out of my way to protect my identity and ensure security from identity theft or stalking.  I thought it would be for the best to have no one able to find me via a Google search.  I still believe this to be true from a personal life point of view.  However, from the perspective of a professional life point of view I can envision why it would be a good idea to have a WWW presence and identity online. 

In some ways (very small at this point) I am somewhat of a resident also.  I do have a Face Book account that I primarily reserve for non-professional friends and family only.  As a leader, I do not feel it would be appropriate for everyone I work with to have deep insight into my personal life.  At any rate, I am there, and my life can been seen by those with access even when I am offline.  I am also a resident via email.  Once an email is sent, it is always there, and it certainly leaves a trace. 

I am attempting to grow my residency online in a professional context.  I have a Twitter, Diigo, iGoogle, You Tube, Tweet Deck, Blog on blogspot, and a Gmail account.  I am still learning how to maximize the use of these tools in a professional context though.  Therefore, I am excited about the next 9 weeks and learning how to expand and broaden my professional online presence.  J

6 comments:

  1. Being a educational leader does require that leader to be careful when posting personal things on the internet. I agree that being selective about who you allow to view your personal information is key.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a good idea to have the separation between the personal and the professional in terms of the Internet. I use Facebook for the personal side of me. . .everything else like Twitter, Diigo, Blogger, YouTube, etc., I am a professional resident. It is really something that I have been cultivating for awhile now. This 'residency' got me the opportunity to teach at USD and to present at conferences, so I really believe in the concept of having your professional residency on the Internet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the personal/professional separation. Also, as your friend on FB, I have to say, you you go out to eat more than any other person I have ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the same problem I have with social media. Of course there is a need to create a 'professional' persona, especially in a high profile job such as a principal. At the same time, I am reluctant to believe it can be good for a person's being to constantly jumping from one identity to another. It seems like multiple personality disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand the desire to separate the personal and professional especially when you have underage children. I think it is naive to believe that it is really possible. I think it is much healthier to get comfortable with blurred spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What about when our professional and political interests overlap? For example, right now, so much of what's going on in immigration is affecting our students!

    ReplyDelete